Media and Public Appearances
Margaret Simons on Spoke
- Discussion about ‘Violence Against Women: A Media Intervention’, an ARC Linkage Project led by the Centre for Advancing Journalism.
Election 2016: The uncomfortable truth is the media got it wrong. How did we do it?
- Simons quoted on the political reporting that took place in the aftermath of the 2016 Federal Election.
The Whitlam dismissal: three issues that still divide historians after 40 years
- Discussion about the Whitlam dismissal with Jenny Hocking on ABC Radio National.
Malcolm Fraser’s long debate and being true to his ideals
- Commentary on the legacy that Malcolm Fraser left behind following his death.
From Mining to Media: Reinhart and Fairfax
- Interview with Jonathan Green on ABC Radio National Sunday Extra (5 February 2012)
- Write-up by the University of Melbourne Faculty of Arts media team on Margaret Simons’ appointment as Director of the Centre for Advanced Journalism (now the Centre for Advancing Journalism).
Journalism and Public Debate
- Interview with Philip Adams and David Marr ABC Radio National Late Night Live.
Australia Network Decision a fait accompli: commentators
- Interview on ABC Radio National AM program.
Appearance before the The Australian Government’s independent inquiry into the Australian media
- Simons’ submission to the inquiry can be found here.
- The unredacted submission, and background story, can be found here.
Chasing the truth
- Opinion column in The Sunday Age, 13 November 2011, covering the Australian Government’s independent inquiry into the Australian media.
Analysis: AFP leak court case
The Fourth Estate Under Scrutiny
- Debate with Tim Dunlop and Peter Clarke. Inside Story podcast.
Look Both Ways Before Crossing the Line
- A (favourable) mention on the ABC’s Media Watch program.
The Bolt Verdict
- Interview on ABC TV’s 7.30 Report.
Is Australian Democracy Broken?
- Debate with Lindsay Tanner, Malcolm Turnbull and Malcolm Fraser.
Police Commissioner Rejects Leak Claim
- Interview on ABC Radio National’s The World Today
Bargains, treasures, authors and literary love at Booktown 2010
- A report of the Clunes Book Festival by ABC Ballarat reporter Jarrod Watt.
Fraser Quits the Liberal Party
- Interview on ABC TV’s The 7.30 Report
The Subtle Art of Collaboration
- Simons talks to Peter Clarke about writing a book with Malcolm Fraser. Inside Story podcast.
Malcolm Fraser in Conversation with Margaret Simons at Melbourne University
Social Media: Death or Salvation of Professional Journalism?
- Panel session with Jonathan Green and Robyn Williams at the Media 140 Conference, Sydney.
Roy Greenslade in Conversation with Margaret Simons from Australian Broadcasting Corporation.
End of the Free Ride
- Appearance on ABC TV’s Media Watch, talking about the future of media.
The price of Good News
- Interview on ABC Radio National The World Today.
- The threats and opportunities to media and journalism. Discussion with Peter Clarke. Inside Story podcast.
A Taxonomy of Blogs
- ABC Radio National, The Media Report with Antony Funnell, 25 September 2008.
Margaret Simons and Kathy Reichs
- ABC Melbourne, The Conversation Hour with Jon Faine 26 September 2007.
IOC Set to Approve Athlete Blogs
- ABC Radio National, PM, 4 September 2007.
A Sex Offender in the Neighbourhood – A Right to Know?
- ABC Radio National, Life Matters, 5 June 2007.
- ABC Radio National, Late Night Live 12 March 2007.
The Great Media Stocktake
- ABC Radio National, The Media Report with Antony Funnell 14 December 2006.
The Press Gallery: Insular, Intrusive or Indispensable
Mark Latham in Conversation with Margaret Simons
Is the Media Failing Australia?
Margaret Simons: the ties that bind
- ABC Radio National the deep end with Vicki Kerrigan, 18 May 2005.
- ABC Radio National Counterpoint with Michael Duffy, 16 May 2005.
Patriotism and the Australian Way of Life
- ABC Radio National Radio Eye series “War and Peace: Program One”, 23 April 2005.
The life and times of Sir Joh Bjelke Petersen
The Best Australian Journalism
- ABC Radio National The Media Report with Mick O’Regan, 16 December 2004.
(Originally given at the RMIT Public Forum)
Have/Have Nots: Composters V The ‘Never Compost’ Set
- ABC Radio National Life Matters with Julie McCrossin, 3 June 2004.
Marketing Mark Latham
The Hindmarsh Island Affair
- Given at The Sydney Institute 30 July 2003.
- Published in The Sydney Papers vol 15 nbr 2, Autumn 2003.
The Hindmarsh Island Affair
Journalism and Objectivity
Hindmarsh Island Affair Revisited
- ABC Radio National PM with Mark Colvin, 12 May 2003.
Secret Women’s Business
Lies and Power
Facts, Projection, Politics and the Objective Journalist